Sunday, June 28, 2009

Coleslaw

Last night I made coleslaw with cabbage and carrots I got in the last farm box. I've never made coleslaw before and I'm not usually a fan of restaurant slaw which tends to have too much dressing for my taste. But I had a pregnancy craving for a fresh, light coleslaw, so I tried it out last night. I found a simple, 5 ingredient recipe on allrecipes.com that I decided to try. I modified it slightly, reducing the sugar and increasing the vinegar since I prefer a tangier taste. I also planned to reduce the mayo a little since I'm not a big fan, but found out I only had about a 1/3 of a cup anyway (the recipe called for 1 cup). So I ended up mixing the dressing in the mayonnaise jar to get as much as possible.

In the end, my first bite still tasted too much like mayo for my taste (so I'm glad I didn't have more on hand), but after a few bites, I didn't notice it as much. It was pretty good and I'm hoping some time in the fridge will improve it. You can tell in the picture that this coleslaw is not heavy with dressing - just the way I like it. The cabbage and carrots were so fresh and good, they didn't need too much added flavor.

Here's the recipe as I made it:

1 small head of cabbage, shredded
3 medium carrots, shredded
1/3 cup (approx) of mayo
1/4 cup sugar
3/8 cup apple cider vinegar

Mix shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix mayo, sugar and vinegar. Pour over slaw and toss to coat.

In researching coleslaw recipes, I also came across a good post on someone's blog on how to shred cabbage, since I hadn't made coleslaw before. She also explains why doing it with a knife is best. You can read about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment