Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tofu Stir Fry

It only seems fair to post the duds along with the good recipes. I had high hopes for this tofu stir fry. I had made a stir fry earlier with bok choy, carrots and celery, using chicken for my protein. But for something different, I decided to use tofu. Also, instead of bok choy, I had cabbage, which I knew should make a good stir fry.

The problem with tofu is it has no flavor except what you put on it. I knew this, so I marinated it for at least an hour. It still came out flavorless. I think part of the problem was that I didn't use enough soy sauce. The last time I made stir fry, it came out too salty, so I scaled back the soy sauce this time, to ill effect. If I do this one again, I would definitely use more soy sauce. And maybe more garlic and/or shallots.

1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
4 medium carrots, cut into 1/8" x 2-3" strips
2 ribs of celery, sliced
6 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger powder
1 lb firm tofu, cut into rectangular pieces
3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp canola oil

Create a marinade of the soy sauce, water, oil, ginger, and 1 minced clove of garlic. Mix well and add tofu. Marinate at least one hour, shaking every 10 minutes or so to coat the tofu.

Saute the shallots, mushrooms and remaining garlic. Add the cabbage, carrots, celery and water chestnuts and cook a few minutes until veggies start to become tender. Add tofu and marinade, continuing to cook and coat the veggies with the sauce.

Serve over a bed of rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment