Thursday, June 25, 2009

Farm fresh eggs

On http://www.localharvest.org/ I found a local farm that sells eggs. You have to call ahead to arrange pickup and to get directions. The owners sell them from their home and bring them out to you in your car. I found out via e-mail that they have 7 sizes of eggs ranging from Pee Wee to Super Jumbo. They have so many different sizes (and colors) because they have so many different sizes and breeds of chickens.

I called and arranged my first pickup last week. I ordered a dozen Extra Large eggs since this is the size I'm used to using in recipes. Most of my eggs were shades of brown, but we did get one light blue egg. The farm was about 25 minutes away, although only about 12-15 miles. It was a nice drive and their neighbors had horses that Aaron enjoyed looking at. One had an adorable colt.

They were more expensive than store bought eggs and obviously less convenient to buy. But I like supporting local farmers. I like getting farm fresh eggs from free range chickens. And I know they will last a month in my fridge rather than the 2-3 weeks out that store bought eggs are normally dated.

This particular farm also sells their free range chickens, and in the fall, heritage turkeys, for eating. They call people who are interested when they are processing the birds, so you can't just buy them whenever you want. But I got on the list to be notified so we can try them out. We are especially interested in the heritage turkeys which are supposed to be more flavorful than traditional turkeys available in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment