Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Drunken Collards

This was my first experiment with collard greens - and the first time Thom or I have eaten collards, to my knowledge. My recipe was loosely based on a recipe from Emeril's website. I added red pepper flakes because it is supposed to complement collard greens and Thom likes spicy food. I had wanted to try a recipe I saw that called for chicken broth instead of beer, but we were all out.

1 large bunch of collard greens (about 12 leaves)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 12 oz. beer (I used Bass because it was in the fridge, but not sure it's the best beer for this recipe)
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes

Wash collards and pat dry. Remove stalks and thick center part of leaves. Stack leaves up and roll them up length-wise. Cut into 1/2" strips.

Heat oil in wok on medium high heat. Add garlic and sautee until it starts to brown. Add shredded collards and stir to coat with oil and garlic. Then add beer, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Stir fequently. Cook approximately 20 minutes, until collards are tender.

I can't say either of us liked this recipe. But someone who likes collards might. While we were eating, Thom got out the Flavor Bible and looked up collard greens. Then he says "I thought bacon would go with it" after confirming that bacon is one of the ingredients that supposedly complements collards. I knew it would be better with bacon but was too lazy and constrained for time to cook some. If we get collards again, we will try a different recipe using bacon.

As I was eating them, I consoled myself by thinking that they must be full of good vitamins. Sure enough, collards are a good source of vitamins K, A, and C, as well as a good source of folate and calcium and other nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment