Friday, June 5, 2009

Haricot Vert

Hericot Vert is the french word for green beans, and the name I've given this recipe. Although it is one I came up with many years ago, I recently made it using farm fresh green beans from our co-op and it was excellent. The great thing about this recipe is that the amount of green beans can vary quite a bit depending on how many you have. If I have more green beans, I use more mushrooms to maintain a good ratio.

1/2 to 1 lb green beans, washed and cut into 2-3" pieces
5-8 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 large shallot, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
salt
pepper
Parmesan cheese

Heat butter and oil in large skillet or wok. Saute garlic, shallot, and mushrooms 2-3 minutes over medium high heat. Allow shallots to carmelize if desired. Add green beans. Stir frequently. When green beans start to soften, add salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook until desired doneness. Several minutes before removing from heat, grate approximately 1-2 Tbsp fresh Parmesan cheese over green beans and stir in.

Parmesan is a flavor enhancer. Even a little can really affect the taste of this dish. I'm not going for a cheesy flavor.

I have made a low fat version of this leaving out the butter and adding some chicken broth for added flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment