Thursday, June 4, 2009

Introduction

I've known about the idea of community supported agriculture (or CSA, or farm co-ops) for awhile now, perhaps since my book club read Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I've also been interested in the idea since hearing about problems with "factory farming" from friends who have read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma and from my own reading of his book In Defense of Food. I believe smaller CSA farms are more sustainable and better for the environment than large, corporate owned farms. They also tend to be organic farms, which I think is not only better for the environment, but makes for healthier food. But as much as I like the idea of organic produce and buying locally, it has always seemed too expensive. Especially when I go to the local farmer's market where my $20 budget tends to yield less than a grocery bag of produce.

But then we found out that friends or ours were members of a local CSA. And I was shocked at how affordable it is. For $30 a box, which you can pick up either every week or every other week, depending on your needs, you get about 2 paper grocery bags full of organic, farm-fresh produce. The reason they can sell it so affordably is that members pay by the quarter and take whatever is in season. So they have a reliable market and can plan accordingly since people commit to 3 months at a time. I imagine in the winter months, we wouldn't get as much produce, despite paying the same amount per box, but it still seems like quite a deal.

We signed up for a 4 box trial and after 2 boxes, I am sold. I've been so inspired to try new dishes that I decided to start a blog to catalog my recipes and experiences.

This website Local Harvest http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ will help you find a local CSA farm if you are interested. Even in urban areas, you'd be surprised how many local farms are out there if you know where to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment