Friday, July 3, 2009

Chicken Stir Fry

Since I got bok choy in my last farm box, I decided to make stir fry again. I had made chicken stir fry the first time I got bok choy and it was OK, but I learned from my mistakes and it came out better this time.

I used 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts which I always have on hand in the freezer from Trader Joe's. They say you don't need to defrost before baking, or if you do defrost frozen chicken, you should do it in the fridge. I rarely plan my meals far enough in advance to put the chicken in the refrigerator the night before, and since I want to marinate it prior to cooking, I need it thawed.

So I use the quick, but supposedly less safe, method of defrosting the chicken in a plastic bag in a bowl of cold water. I replace the water several times so it doesn't get warm, and it doesn't sit in the water for more than an hour. In fact, it doesn't usually defrost completely since I just need it defrosted enough to cut it into slices that I can place in the marinade. By the time it is ready to cook, it has finished defrosting.

Here's my recipe. Both my husband and son enjoy it.

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into slices
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup beef broth
1 clove of garlic minced (I used equivalent amount of jarred minced garlic from Trader Joe's)

1 large shallot, chopped
2-3 bunches of bok choy, chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 ribs of celery, sliced
1 Tbsp canola oil

Combine soy sauce, canola oil and beef broth in small baking dish. Mix together with garlic. Add chicken and stir to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Heat 1 Tbsp canola oil in wok over medium high. Add chicken and cook for several minutes until cooked through. While it is cooking, I put the baking dish with the marinade in the microwave for 2 minutes, until boiling, to cook any residue of the chicken. (I plan to add it later, but I'm not sure it will be in the pan long enough to be safe to eat.)

Remove chicken from wok and set in bowl. Add more canola oil if necessary. Stir fry bok choy, carrots and celery for several minutes until vegetables become tender. Return chicken to the wok and add the marinade. Stir to mix ingredients, then remove from heat. Serve over a bed of rice.

This makes roughly 4 adult servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment