Friday, July 3, 2009

Oatmeal with fresh fruit

This is another recipe inspired by our backyard harvest. Our small peach tree is laden with fruit at the moment. The birds and critters are starting to enjoy their share. One of our apple trees, an Anna apple, we think, is also loaded with fruit. So this morning, I decided to use both in some oatmeal. I confirmed in the Flavor Bible that peaches go well with apples, as well as cinnamon, nutmeg, oatmeal, unsalted butter, vanilla and brown sugar. You can also make this with chopped nuts, which I would add at the beginning with the fruit.

I make my oatmeal with milk because I find it tastes richer and helps fill me up. But you can make it with water if you prefer.


1 cup quick cook steel cut oats
3 cups milk
1 medium peach, chopped
1 medium apple, chopped
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add fruit and brown sugar. Saute for several minutes until fruit is softened. Add oats and stir. Then stir in milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil and cook stirring constantly for about 5 minutes.

Makes 2-3 servings.

This is even better with some maple syrup mixed in or more brown sugar. But I kept the sugar light this time because I'm trying to watch my sugar intake.

No comments:

Post a Comment